Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Things about me

I decided to start a blog because I get tired of talking to myself.  Not that anyone is going to read this, but it might help me maintain my sanity.  That being said, I will tell you that I am retired and live in Kona Hawaii a good part of the year.  Prior to retirement, I owned my own construction-related business for twenty-five years.  I have experienced a lot, both being in business and being retired for ten years.

So the subject of my blogging will vary from day to day depending on my mood.  No subject is off limits, but I will be civil and respectful and I expect others to be the same.  I know in this day and age the tendency is for "shout-down" sessions in almost every venue of life.  Personally, I believe we have lost something in our country when we no longer listen to one another.

Some things about me - I am married for almost 50 year, have four children and 10 grandchildren. My wife and I worked together in our business, so we were together almost 24-7 for much of our married life.  An interesting fact of my career was that I worked for my wife.  She had worked for the man that started the business and was able to buy him out.  After a year or so of her running the business by herself, I quit what I was doing and came to work for her.

The fact that we are going on 50 years of marriage indicates this arrangement worked for us.  I am not saying it is for everyone. But I respected my wife's ability and she respected mine. So we made a good team. We are also both musicians. So we have played music together from shortly after we first met.

Several things that I do in retirement keep me busy.  I have a fairly complete wood and metal shop.  My interest in music and woodwork has directed me to making guitars.  So far, I am mainly working on solid-body electric guitars, but I have some acoustic instrument sin the planning stages.  I am not a great guitarist. But I like to hear great guitarists play my instruments.

As we travel about from the mainland Northwest to Hawaii I keep my eyes open for good guitar wood.  Having access to both tropical and North American wood is a real advantage in this hobby.  So I will talk about my projects from time to time.

My wife and I are Christians and are active participating in church.  I enjoy good discussions concerning faith and its place in my life.  I believe I occasionally have something to say that might be of help to someone if they are having difficulty with life's struggles.

Politically, I am probably a Libertarian in most of my leanings.  I want smaller government with less entitlements and believe our country's founders had a pretty good idea when they set up everything. 

I am also an auto enthusiast and enjoy fine and fast cars.  I own several nice cars that are not used for daily transportation.

This brings my first posting to a close.  I hope a few people will see this and get in touch.

Regards to all,
Da Kona Guy 

3 comments:

  1. Kind of late discovering your blog, but welcome to the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with the world. I will enjoy reading about the great processes going on in your fertile brain and see what insights I can gain from that. Nice to meet a fellow Christian.

    ReplyDelete